Cleveland Kidnap Victims Berry, DeJesus and Knight Release Thank-You Video

Share
Copy

Castro allegedly snatched Berry, DeJesus and Knight between 2002 and 2004 and imprisoned them, sometimes restrained by chains.

The women were freed on May 6 when Berry cried out for help from behind a closed screen door, getting the attention of neighbors.

PHOTOS: Cleveland: Three Missing Women Found

"Help me. I'm Amanda Berry. I've been kidnapped, and I've been missing for 10 years, and I'm, I'm here, I'm free now," she told a 911 dispatcher, as she escaped the home with her daughter.

RELATED: Abducted Cleveland Women Bill Would Provide Them an Income, Education and Health Care

Last week, a judge ruled Castro competent to stand trial and denied him access to the 6-year-old daughter he allegedly fathered with Amanda Berry.

Jury selection for Castro's trial is scheduled to begin on Aug. 5.

The women have had little comment to the media before today's video, but last week released statements through representatives saying that they want Castro's trial resolved quickly, according to The Associated Press.

"The longer this process lasts, the more painful it is for them," said attorney Kathy Joseph, representing Knight. "And the more sordid details of this horror that get disclosed in this process, the more painful it is for them."

"The simple, honest truth is they would like it to be over," said James Wooley, representing Berry and DeJesus. "They want this whole thing behind them. Any date set by which this may end is like light at the end of a tunnel."

In May, a letter released by attorneys for the three women on their behalf said that they were "happy and safe" as they recovered from their harrowing ordeal.

"The outpouring of public support has been nothing short of remarkable," the letter read. "To have complete strangers offer loving support in the form of money, goods and services, reaching out to help like a family member, is appreciated in ways that are impossible to put into words. Amanda, Gina and Michelle, who have asked for nothing, are frankly overwhelmed by it all."

ABC News' Alyssa Newcomb, Alexis Shaw and Michael S. James contributed to this report.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...